Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blog topic #2: How the technology works?


This time I used google.com because it is the one I am most familiar with and I feel that I can find relevant websites the fastest.

I searched using the phrases “how does a computer work” and “harmful effects of computer parts.”


The first site is one where I actually have frequented a few times before. How stuff works is usually reliable; in this instance, it is credible because a Microsoft certified systems engineer wrote the article. How stuff works is a subsidiary of Discovery Communications (think of the Discovery channel) and is funded through advertising that is displayed on their web pages. The information is current since the overall computer design has remained the same in recent years, only the components have been updated and become better/faster. The information is useful because it gives a walkthrough of the parts of the computer and the processes that are done by the components. The site does not give information regarding the impacts upon the environment of the computer components. Therefore more the other sites I researched this time are devoted to that topic.

Although the second site is listed is a Wikipedia page, I believe it is a good source because it gives a good overview of the topic. It provides lists of the harmful materials in computers, the issues dealing with the trade of products by different countries, a brief overview of electronic waste management, and current efforts and organizations that support better care for old/thrown out electronics. I believe the site to be credible since it is written in an objective manner without any obvious bias.

The third website is used for research is from the organization called Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition. This organization is devoted to protecting the communities around high-tech industries that use harmful chemicals in their production. The site is funded through donations by the public and by other organizations. The information that is useful on the site is the example that they give about India and the conditions that are caused there because of the exportation of electronic waste from the US to India. Still more research is needed regarding the actual processes that are used to recycle electronics and make the results safe for the environment and people.

1 comment:

  1. I like the How Stuff Works website; I too have previously used that website and it is pretty accurate. I like how there is a video included and the picture of the computer assembled; they add good visuals to help understand the layout. The wikipedia website has a lot of information, but I don't know if it will qualify as a credible source; good starting point though. The Silicon Valley website is a good way to learn about the effects of e-waste, especially on the local scale; pretty good sources.

    ReplyDelete